Skip to main content

Optimal amount of input

If you don’t get any outside input into your life, you’re literally an idiot, someone in your own little world. But if you get too much outside input, you become a bland cliche. I’ve written about this a couple times, and ran across a new post this morning from someone expressing a similar idea.

I first wrote about this in a short post on noise removal. After talking about signal processing, I wax philosophical.

This is a metaphor for life. If you only value your own opinion, you’re an idiot in the oldest sense of the word, someone in his or her own world. Your work may have a strong signal, but it also has a lot of noise. Getting even one outside opinion greatly cuts down on the noise. But it also cuts down on the signal to some extent. If you get too many opinions, the noise may be gone and the signal with it. Trying to please too many people leads to work that is offensively bland.

I returned to this theme in The Opposite of an Idiot:

An idiot lives only in his own world; the opposite of an idiot has no world of his own.

This morning I found a new post along these lines via Tyler Cowen. He links to a short post entitled We Can Read Without Learning at All.

We require the friction of other minds to buff away self-generated roughness. Few of us can polish ourselves. We are likelier to grow cranky and conspiracy-minded, mistaking brainstorms for insight while rediscovering what the rest of the world already knows. Had I read only the books assigned in class, I would today be only nominally literate. Had I read only the books that confirmed the thoughts I already possessed, I would remain marginally illiterate.

In our networked world, we’re more likely to have a plethora of low-quality input than to be isolated. There’s more danger of becoming a bland opinion poll than becoming a cranky idiot.

Living inside a partisan bubble may be the worst of both worlds: the blandness of herd mentality and the crankiness of isolation.



from John D. Cook https://ift.tt/2ojezBt
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Controlling legend appearance in ggplot2 with override.aes

[This article was first published on Very statisticious on Very statisticious , and kindly contributed to R-bloggers ]. (You can report issue about the content on this page here ) Want to share your content on R-bloggers? click here if you have a blog, or here if you don't. In ggplot2 , aesthetics and their scale_*() functions change both the plot appearance and the plot legend appearance simultaneously. The override.aes argument in guide_legend() allows the user to change only the legend appearance without affecting the rest of the plot. This is useful for making the legend more readable or for creating certain types of combined legends. In this post I’ll first introduce override.aes with a basic example and then go through three additional plotting scenarios to how other instances where override.aes comes in handy. Table of Contents R packages Introducing override.aes Adding a guides() layer Using the guide argument in scale_*() Changing multiple aesthetic par...

Zooming in on maps with sf and ggplot2

(This article was first published on r-bloggers – WZB Data Science Blog , and kindly contributed to R-bloggers) When working with geo-spatial data in R, I usually use the sf package for manipulating spatial data as Simple Features objects and ggplot2 with geom_sf for visualizing these data. One thing that comes up regularly is “zooming in” on a certain region of interest, i.e. displaying a certain map detail. There are several ways to do so. Three common options are: selecting only certain areas of interest from the spatial dataset (e.g. only certain countries / continent(s) / etc.) cropping the geometries in the spatial dataset using sf_crop() restricting the display window via coord_sf() I will show the advantages and disadvantages of these options and especially focus on how to zoom in on a certain point of interest at a specific “zoom level”. We will see how to calculate the coordinates of the display window or “bounding box” around this zoom point. Loading t...