Skip to main content

beta: Evidence-based Software Engineering – book

[This article was first published on The Shape of Code » R, and kindly contributed to R-bloggers]. (You can report issue about the content on this page here)
Want to share your content on R-bloggers? click here if you have a blog, or here if you don't.

My book, Evidence-based software engineering: based on the publicly available data is now out on beta release (pdf, and code+data). The plan is for a three-month review, with the final version available in the shops in time for Christmas (I plan to get a few hundred printed, and made available on Amazon).

The next few months will be spent responding to reader comments, and adding material from the remaining 20 odd datasets I have waiting to be analysed.

You can either email me with any comments, or add an issue to the book’s Github page.

While the content is very different from my original thoughts, 10-years ago, the original aim of discussing all the publicly available software engineering data has been carried through (in some cases more detailed data, in greater quantity, has supplanted earlier less detailed/smaller datasets).

The aim of only discussing a topic if public data is available, has been slightly bent in places (because I thought data would turn up, and it didn’t, or I wanted to connect two datasets, or I have not yet deleted what has been written).

The outcome of these two aims is that the flow of discussion is very disjoint, even disconnected. Another reason might be that I have not yet figured out how to connect the material in a sensible way. I’m the first person to go through this exercise, so I have no idea where it’s going.

The roughly 620+ datasets is three to four times larger than I thought was publicly available. More data is good news, but required more time to analyse and discuss.

Depending on the quantity of issues raised, updates of the beta release will happen.

As always, if you know of any interesting software engineering data, please tell me.

To leave a comment for the author, please follow the link and comment on their blog: The Shape of Code » R.

R-bloggers.com offers daily e-mail updates about R news and tutorials about learning R and many other topics. Click here if you're looking to post or find an R/data-science job.
Want to share your content on R-bloggers? click here if you have a blog, or here if you don't.


from R-bloggers https://ift.tt/2CXifDv
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Controlling legend appearance in ggplot2 with override.aes

[This article was first published on Very statisticious on Very statisticious , and kindly contributed to R-bloggers ]. (You can report issue about the content on this page here ) Want to share your content on R-bloggers? click here if you have a blog, or here if you don't. In ggplot2 , aesthetics and their scale_*() functions change both the plot appearance and the plot legend appearance simultaneously. The override.aes argument in guide_legend() allows the user to change only the legend appearance without affecting the rest of the plot. This is useful for making the legend more readable or for creating certain types of combined legends. In this post I’ll first introduce override.aes with a basic example and then go through three additional plotting scenarios to how other instances where override.aes comes in handy. Table of Contents R packages Introducing override.aes Adding a guides() layer Using the guide argument in scale_*() Changing multiple aesthetic par...

Zooming in on maps with sf and ggplot2

(This article was first published on r-bloggers – WZB Data Science Blog , and kindly contributed to R-bloggers) When working with geo-spatial data in R, I usually use the sf package for manipulating spatial data as Simple Features objects and ggplot2 with geom_sf for visualizing these data. One thing that comes up regularly is “zooming in” on a certain region of interest, i.e. displaying a certain map detail. There are several ways to do so. Three common options are: selecting only certain areas of interest from the spatial dataset (e.g. only certain countries / continent(s) / etc.) cropping the geometries in the spatial dataset using sf_crop() restricting the display window via coord_sf() I will show the advantages and disadvantages of these options and especially focus on how to zoom in on a certain point of interest at a specific “zoom level”. We will see how to calculate the coordinates of the display window or “bounding box” around this zoom point. Loading t...